Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cold Mountain Letter 8

This week has consisted of, yup you guessed it, CONTACTING. How great it to walk around every where and to freeze and talk to random people about the most important thing. I love just ambling around our area in hopes of stopping one soul that will talk to us. Sometimes it's painful because no one will talk to us. Remind me later and I'll tell you more.


Okay so the other night we had SOOOOO MANY LESSONS that we didn't know what to do. So we cancelled them and when walking. Yes that is what happened. We cancelled our activities and went walking. No what really happened is that we didn't have any lessons and so we had to work, it's not like we can just sit inside of our house all day. We we went out. I grabbed my contacting clothes and threw them on, laced up my no lace up shoes, and placed my contacting cap on my head. This is how I looked: I was wearing a white shirt and most likely a neck tie, I was wearing long-johns because it's cold outside and I don't want to freeze, of course pants-geeze, and then my grey hat that I brought. I was looking like an American missionary. I was ready to contact till my lips would bleed and my toes fell off. I was ready.


We headed out on route number № 3.14545 in hopes of finding someone that would talk to us. As we were walking we were passing people, but when we would ask them if we could talk to them they either ignored us and kept on walking or said no and kept on walking. We pressed on with hopes that we would find SOMEONE. Footstep after footstep and even some more footsteps we called it quits after about two straight hours, plus it was time to go inside anyways. Drum roll please.................we talked to a whopping 0 people. But we were able to hand out, another drumroll please..........................an enormous 2 pamphlets. We were so successful I don't know what to do. It was a bitter night. No one talked to us and we barely got those pamphlets out. But that's missionary work for ya here in Ukraine and I love it.


I think of it as Heavenly Father testing my faith. I was reading the other day in the scriptures about the people being forced from one place to another and then God would test them and their faith and give them trials and see how they did. And every time God gave them a trial they knew what was going up. They called upon the Lord for help and eventually they got through their problems.

A story from contacting: We were contacting the other night, no wait I think it was two nights ago, either way we were contacting, did I mention that's all we did this week? Okay back to the story, we were contacting and we stopped this lady. She then proceeds to say, in English! : Whhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeee yyyyyyyoooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuu ffffffffffffrrrrrrro..............and then says it in Russian quickly and perfectly Where are you from? It was so funny. When she was trying to talk in English the dragged out words got higher as long as she dragged them out. It was really funny, and then she just said it in Russian. Come to find out she was a Harhi Krishna and then she started walking away. I thought that that religion was only found in Spanish Fork, somehow one of their kind made it all the way to Ukraine???!!!! What the duece?!?!!!! Elder Duke was confused about that religion, I told him that what they do is sing and dance in a circle and have llamas. Yeah....that's religion for you. As long as the have a religion then that's okay, but it should be the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints though, but anywho all is well.

If you want to hear the big story of the week here it is. On Tuesday we contacted-hey contacting!-to a store so I could buy a hair shearer. Why might you ask? Because I don't want to spend a lot of money of having someone else cut my hair when I can just simply do it. So yes I am now the proud owner of some heard shearers. When we contacted back home, which was the most success ever-2 Books of Mormon and 1 contacted received, all in a matter of 10 minutes. Its was awesome. We got home dropped off the head shearer and then went to District Metting. That was great-there is some great power in our district this transfer. When we got home after District Meeting we got a phone call saying that we were going to start a fast in hopes that we would be able to baptize someone this transfer. So that was way cool. Then I buzzed my head. Oh yeah that's right. I just placed the №4 and went to town upon my head. I took a stop motion video of it. It's way cool. Hopefully I'll be able to send it home some how. So now, I'm sporting a buzz. I figure that this is how I'm going to look for the next two years. Oh yeah gonna look good. I'll send some photos.

Another story-I'm just full of them today. We were having studies in the morning and then we get this text. It said that our planned lesson for the day was cancelled. I was upset and couldn't handle it. So what did I do? I went into the kitchen and made some crepes. Yes that's right, I made some crepes. I call it my Ukrainian comfort food. I know it's not Urkainian but I make it in Ukraine so it counts-work with me. So I went into the kitchen not too pleased and made some crepes which calmed me down. Oh and it sure did. We have a lot of random jams and jellies from branch members so I slathered on some fruits and called it breakfast. I was upset because the contact was the contact that I got a while back and he spoke English. Also the cancellation meant that we would be doing another full day of contacting. I just love making crepes, I make them quite good too. Thin and super delicious. Oh they are so good I want to go home and make some more. That's my little dish that I make for me and for Elder Duke. And that's my story.

That's been my week. Tons of contacting and talking to werid and random people. I love being in Ukraine and serving the people here. I love learning the language even though it's crazy hard and I don't undrestand what's being said but I love trying to learn the language and speaking it. I know prayers are being answered and that prayers are being heard. Thank you all for everything that you have done for me in my life through the years.

I hope that all is well, enjoy the tender mercies of the Lord.

Love Elder Frank Young


No comments:

Post a Comment