Monday, July 18, 2011

Kharkiv/XT3 Letter 4

Hey family! I hope that all is well with you, for me it's all the same. 

This past week has been pretty crazy. This whole transfer has been a little crazy. Elder Neil the Elder that I went on a split with a couple of weeks ago had some same symptoms as me and got really sick. He was inside for a couple of days and his companion wasn't too happy about that and their area needed some work to be done. That made it so Elder Neil went to some other Elders, who were also sick, and then Elder Neil's companion came to us. There must be some bug going around Kharkiv because there are some Elders that are sick. How ever there is an Elder down in Dontesk who got the same sypmtoms but now he's all better. What he did was just drink water for 24 hours and then ate some rice and bread and such to get better. Some how he "beat" what ever was giving him a problem...That's what I would like to think but for me the "bug" has been with me since April. So, where were Ukraine!!! of course!!! Back to the story...Elder Efoskin is now with us for a couple of days and we are now again in a three-some. It's pretty crazy working in a three-some. Contacting on the streets makes for some crazy experiences. Either we walk all together as three people and try and talk to one person and probably scare them or someone walks on the other side of the street. We tried that for a while but not a lot of people were out so it didn't really work. The lessons were also interesting because we just showed up and had an extra person with us. The houses here aren't too big and just having two Elders is enough, so three Elders made for an interesting experience.
We thought that we were just gonna go on a split me with sick Elder Neil and Elder Brimley with Elder Efoskin but that was decided otherwise from the Zone Leaders or the AP's. It probably would have been easier if I went with Elder Neil because I wasn't feeling too good as well. But the three-some was alright. It made for teaching lessons a bit awkward because usually you know when to speak because your companion either stops talking or turns to you and says "say something". We didn't have too awkward moments between us and teaching was pretty good. Having a native around on a lesson is both good and bad. Good because they can say anything in Russian and can express it better, but bad because they speak so well they tend to dominate the lesson. All was worked out and we taught some good lessons. We gave a Book of Mormon to a member and asked her to give it to someone and help them enjoy the blessings of the Gospel. 
Saturday we were working the other Elder's area and we had some lessons planned and then started by hitting the sidewalks looking for people to talk to. We found some but they just like to tell us that we are wrong and don't ever let us speak. That is frustrating sometimes and usually doesn't get us anywhere and sometimes makes us late for our lessons. We eventually got to where we needed to be and gave a very old member some food because she couldn't leave her house. She then asked us if we could stop by a pharmacy and get her some pills. We were very low on time and needed to get to the church for a first lesson with an investigator. After some scrambling around and figuring out bus routes we eventually got back to the church...the bad news is that when we got back to the church the person wasn't there. So either they didn't show up at all or they showed up waited for five minutes and then went back to what ever they were doing. After the disappointment we went back home and made some lasgana...yes that is right. It's not your typical lagsana but it's missionary lagsana. We use what ever kind of noodles that we can find and make everything else the same. It's pretty good. When I'm home I'll make it for you, but till then you can enjoy what you call lagsana. Then we went to another lesson back in our area, XT3, with the 7th-day-Adventist guy. He loves the Bible more than anything and knows it very well. We tried to show to him prophecies of the Book of Mormon from the Bible. After we showed him about four he was like "Oh that's nice that you think that" and kept on going off about how Russian people need the Bible and that Americans need the Book of Mormon. He's a nice guy but he's too set on his 7th-day-Adventist stuff. 
I'm trying to remember what else has happened this past week. I can't believe that the time has flown by so quick! It seems like I was just here at the computer cafe writing an email home and then later that day baking a cake! Can you believe that I'm 20?? I still feel 19. So something else that happened this week....We had interviews with President Comperro. He's an awesome man who is extremely humble. 
On Sunday night we went to a fireside that President was putting on. When we showed up he was in the middle of a circle talking to the people there about member missionary work...all in Russian! He can hold his own in Russian. He studied in Moscow for five years and picked it up there. It's was pretty weird walking in and seeing him just talking in Russian. He was using some words that I had just barely learned. He was talking about member missionary work and how members need to find while the missionaries need to teach. So true, now hopefully the members will start trying to find people for us to teach. He made it very important that they do their work. President also talked about reactivation with less active members and had some members go up and to some practice. It made it all to real for the missionaries that are there. It seems so easy to practice it but when it comes down to real life, it's completely different. The members that acted as L.A. acted difficult, becaues they were returned missionaries and knew how it was. It all went well and gave the members some confidence and so hopefully they will start doing some member work.
Oh what else happened?? This morning we played some basket ball at the church. Yeah our church has a basketball hoop. You just have to roll it out of the shed and place it in the parking lot. It's pretty cool. After a couple of hours of playing we got tired and it got pretty hot and we called it quits and now we are here. This week should hopefully be a normal week. So far this transfer I haven't spent a whole week in my own area. Yeah...I guessing and planning on that nothing crazy should happen. I'll let you know next week. However I could be taking some pills that clean me out so we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully nothing too important comes out.
Elder Frank
Я люблю свую семью!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment