Monday, October 17, 2011

Kharkiv/XT3 Letter 17


It's me again. I'm probably the one that writes you on Monday's so I'm sorry to fill up your inboxes with my email(s).
 
This past week has been great! I'm trying to remember exactly all that happened, but I do remember that it was all awesome.
 
So I'm not sure what you want to hear from me or see from this email. So I'll try and spice things up and send some good information about the past week.
 
It's been cold the past couple of days.
 
The leaves are almost all on the ground.
 
This morning when we walked out of our house we could see our breath.
 
The store we go to finally had some spices that I needed, oregano and garlic and some other powder spices.
 
I went on a split this week.
 
What else.
 
Yeah I think that's it.
 
Love Elder Frank Young
 
No I'm just kidding. I can't do that.
 
..
...
..
.
So this past week was a good one. It was bit cold as you can remember from my earlier news. We had about three to four and rarely two lessons everyday so we are pretty busy which is nice. There is this one member that has some smoking problems, I've mention him earlier, it's fun going to him because we have a good relationship between us. When we were leaving he said that we were the nicest missionaries ever and that we show love to him. It was a good compliment to get and to know.
 
We had a good district meeting on Thursday. We talked about how we do this one lesson because we have been asked by President Compero to go around and do this one lesson about building up Zion where we live. We've tried it before without scriptures and it just doesn't work. So President said that we need to have some scriptures that go along with it. We searched for some good words and found exactly what we needed. It's awesome giving the lesson because after every lesson it's getting better and better. The best thing about our lesson is that the scriptures to the teaching and we just read. We've been telling other people in our district about our lesson and so they asked us to go through it on the meeting so we did and it was good. They liked it and they on the split that I was on it worked out really well.
 
Later this week we got dogged quite a bit, which is never fun. We tried to meet with A. but he's been down South trying to find a job and then he finally came back. When he was back up we both wanted to meet. We set up for Thursday but then he called and said that he couldn't meet. Then we rescheduled for Friday, but they he texted us and said that he was called to work and wouldn't be able to come. It was a heart break because we don't want him to leave before we start getting serious with everything. He is so close to getting baptized. We haven't been able to meet with E. this past week because he's been busy with school but we ran into his roommate on the street. He said that he missed us coming over and talking and what not. We should have asked him if we can go over to him and start meeting with him but we were in a bit of a hurry and we didn't have a lot of time to talk.
 
The split that I was one was a good one. I was back with Elder K., remember him? Way back in my Cold Mountain days I was on a split with him. My second transfer to be exact, guess what transfer I'm in now? If you guessed 8, then you guess right. So...it's been a while. We had some good times and worked hard. That night we started off by going to a less active and then we went by a member. The less active was a good little lesson. We just tried to see if we could drop by and see if they still live there. So we dropped by and when we knocked on the door they asked who was there and then when they knew they opened the door. They invited us in. It's a mother and a daughter and the daughter is a member. We sat and got to know one another. The mother had a good testimony about the BoM and the church and so Elder K asked her if she would like to be baptized, she declined. Then after some more talking we learned more about their situation. It's not the most pleasant situation in the world. Before we left the daughter asked how she can exit from the church. When she asked that question we sat in confusion and asked her to explain. Long story short some leader didn't do the right thing with some money and that doesn't sit well with her. She doesn't want to be affiliated with the church anymore. It's just a sad story. We said that we were in a hurry and set up to come back the next day.
 
The next day we prepared all throughout the day of how to address this problem. When it was time to go to the lesson we were pretty much prepared. We showed up and started off by showing some photographs and then we dove right into the situation. We started off by reading some scriptures about repentance and forgiveness. She knew the scriptures really well and understands them amazingly. She knows that she is kind of in the wrong for being so bitter to some of the church members and knows that she needs to change. But still she asked how she can get removed from the church. At the end of the lesson we asked her to kneel down and pray and ask Heavenly Father if this was the right thing to do. We all got down and she began to pray. During the prayer I was praying to Heavenly Father to give her the answer to stay in the church and that her mom could get baptized. After the prayer she got up and said that she still wanted to get removed from the church, even though she never really asked in her prayer. Then her mom steps up and says that she needs to rethink this over and that they were gonna pray about it some more. It was awesome, her mom who is not a member came to the rescue. It was great. Then we went our way back home. It was just crazy.
 
Church has been good the past couple of times. I've been sitting with members more and lesson with other missionaries and really trying to focus on what is going on. During one of the talks I closed my head and bowed my head and started to get some holy nap going. After about 7 minutes the sister next to me nudged me to awake me. Priesthood was really good, the branch president is really putting the task of doing work such as retention and making sure that people come to church. He told the brethren that they need to call their families of those they home teach and ask them where they were when they didn't come to church. It's awesome. It's taking the weight of unnecessary work off our shoulders and placing it where it should be. Our branch president is awesome.
 
On Sunday after church we tried finding some youth because there will be a fireside and all the youth need to go. So we went off and tried to find some people. Some of the doms that we went into were a bit sketchy but we were determined and didn't give up. We made contact with a few people and tonight we are going to return and find some more.
 
We've been working hard and having a good time whilst working. The weather is really starting to get cold, but that's okay because I got a good coat that I took from another apartment and I should be pretty warm this winter. However I think that it's going to be a cold winter and it's going to start early. I'll be ready you won't have to send me anything.
 
Thanks for all the love that you have sent this way. Remember that it's all being sent back to you, well not the love that you send here isn't getting returned and not used. I mean that I'm sending love to you.
 
Love Elder Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment