Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Donboss/Gorvloka Letter 8

Oh my's 2012. You know what happens this year???? Something crazy.....supposedly the world ends. So what has already happened this year? I finished my one whole year in Ukraine or aka my black year, but I nicknamed it my yellow year. With the conclusion of the yellow year means that I will be coming home this year...but that isn't so important.

Tuesday we went to this guy who has no legs. His name is S. He said that he has had about three strokes, that is if I translated right, and in so doing he had his legs amputated. Elder H said that he thought that his arms were gonna have to be amputated because of the bad cicurlation and because they are weak. If that were to happen he said that he would buy some thing that would hang from the wall so he could some how get around and that he said that he would change his name to Art. Get it??? It's a joke. But he really doesn't have any legs. We taught him to have faith in Jesus Christ and that in so doing his life would get better and that he needs to read the Book of Mormon and that life will be even better. We asked him for his desire to change and to do what we ask of him to do and he said that he would do what we ask him to do. After our lesson with him we tried looking for P - the guy who was baptized and then ran away. He wrote down two addresses and one of them was in the same building that we were already in. We found the room and when we knocked no one answered the door. Then we waited and some lady walked up, she turned to go into the door and before she got in we asked her if she knew P and she said that she was his mother. We asked about him and she said that he was working in Donetsk and that he was depressed. Then we tried to find the other address,  The other address was very far away from where we were and so we started off. We roughly found where it should have been but it was getting dark and we wanted to get back into town before it was too dark. Then later that night we had a lesson with S and at the end of the lesson she said that she wasn't going to become a member of our church and that she wouldn't care if we stopped meeting. She has a lot of worries and problems but we'll figure them out and help her out. No trial is too big.

On Wednesdy we had some time in the morning before a lesson and so we walked around the city trying to find some less-actives. We had some small piece of paper that had some streets on it and and when we were walking around we became a little bit lost and so that made us walk even longer. After our time of walking we tried finding a bus that would take us to our lesson. We waited at a bus stop for about thirty minutes but it never came. We walked to another one further up the road and when I looked at my watch it was about ten minutes till the lesson was about to start. I quickly called and move the lesson to tomorrow. Then we walked to the church and had district meeting. That was good and we talked about the mission and other things that we are working on in the mission. Then we tried to have a lesson that night with a member but the member didn't come so we tried for another day because we really need a member on a lesson.

Thursday we were very busy running around everywhere making lessons. We started off by going to V and meeting with him. We are waiting for approval from up above but time will let us know. He pretty much knows everything and so it's a bit difficult to have lessons with him because he answers everything perfectly. We talked about him coming to church because he hasn't come since I've been here in Gorlovka. He gave some excuses and said that he woul come...he didn't come to church. Then we went to a member lesson and talked with her, then her mom walked in at the end of the lesson and started asking some questions. She has done that before but this time she had a lot of inerestest. It was fun answering questions for her and letting her know more about us. Hopefully she'll want to know even more. Then we had some more time and we walked to a less active. We have met with her before and so it was kind of a surprise that we met with her, but yet it was good that we met with her. After our lesson with her we came home and made dinner and then tried going to this lesson with a member present, yet again he called and cancelled. So we tried again for another day with him.

Friday was a good day. We met with an investigator and had a good lesson with him. I've met with him before and was excited to meet with him because he's so amazing. He's the one that rides bikes and runs. During the lesson he was answering all the questions right and so we asked him to be baptized. He said no because he felt like he would be a bad member. We told him of the help society that exists in the Church and that he would be able to have some friends that would be able to help him out when his life isn't that good. We asked him if we could bring some members the next time and he said that would be fine. At the end of the lesson he asked me if I was still here in the spring time if I would like to go run 35 kilometers with him. How long exactly is 35 kilometers, only about 21 miles. Yeah...that wouldn't be the best thing for me because I'm way out of shape and I would be dead for about two weeks. Then we went to another lesson with whom the member was supposed to come but yet again he called and cancelled. We really could have used his help on that lesson because we didn't really understand what they were saying. Elder Lewis tried putting them on date but they weren't totally listening and ignored the question and then about ten minutes later brought it back up. They said that they didn't want to get baptized because they have already been baptized before.........we didn't want to argue it and it was getting late.

On Saturday we had to be in by 4:00 p.m. because of the holiday. We met with a less-active and then went and bought some groceries because we were gonna have a bake off because we were gonna be home for so long. We made a lemon merangue pie, brownies, and pizzas. It was all good food and we still have half of everything left over. Being on "house-arrest" for so long wasn't that much fun, but we made it fun. We laughed a lot and made some jokes. That has been something that has been happening a lot this transfer, laughing. We didn't stay up late because we wanted to sleep, but yet the fireworks that went off woke us up but we quickly went back to bed. Kind of a lame way to celebrate but I think this holiday ain't that cool and staying up late ain't that much fun any more escpecially when you have to wake up at 6:30 a.m.

Sunday was good because President Compero was there and we got to have interviews with him. There wasn't a lot members there because of the holiday and in so doing we all met together in Sunday School and because President was there we all met together again. President Compero is an amazing man. He can hold his own with Russian and can do anything. He talked about having a stake in the mission and what that all included. We need to have active Priesthood and everyone paying tithing. President also talked about having members doing more less-active work which was good. He had them think about one less-active person and then during this week invited them to come back to church. After church we had interviews with him and whilst we waited we sang a hymn because there is going to be a special musical number. The pianist is very intense and sometimes can easily offend if you choose to be offended. She was telling me that I sing dirty and it isn't so pretty and that I'm swimming when I sing meaning that I don't know what is going on. She told another Elder if he was baptized yesterday because he didn't know the song. We were singing some song about the temple and that the temple is awesome. After many practices we finally got it sounding good and it'll be cool to sing it all. Then I had my interview with President and it was amazing. I learned about having the Holy Ghost guide me in ALL aspects of my life not just spiritually. It was a good thing to learn and he told me to listen to the Holy Ghost when eating because of my health, something that I wasn't thinking about but I know that he is a wise man and that if I follow him all will be better. That night we had to be home at 6:00 p.m. and so during that time I did a bit of studying and read in 3 Nephi chapters 13 and 18. I like in 18:11 about always remembering Him, then we can have His spirit to be with us. The phrase ALWAYS REMEMBER HIM stuck out to me. There may be times when I forget him and think about other things but that will change I will focus more on him and in turn having His spirit being with me.

The week had been fast. I can't believe that we are about halfway through the transfer. Time has been flying by so quickly. This morning we rearranged the furniture and that took a while. Now our apartment looks a lot better and we had to do shopping, that's why I'm writing so late. Hopefully you're not worried about me, all is well. Thanks for all that you have done for me. I love you all a lot.

Elder Frank Young

No comments:

Post a Comment