Tuesday, May 8, 2012

April 23rd Letter

Life is going good and I feel happy inside right now. That is important. A lot has happened since the last time I sent an email to ya'll. I went on a split with Elder R because supposedly he is leaving...but he's not...for right now...leaving as in getting transferred. We had a great time being together. Now that T P (I was gonna say Elder P) is home Elder R is my best friend out here. He and I have served around each other for four transfers, and it's a blessing. We had a great lesson with an awesome family, the B family. We made tacos with them and then talked for a while. They are awesome! It feels comfortable in their apartment and they know the Gospel. After the great lesson we went to English at the church and there were 5 people already there speaking English. It was great. English just got allowed since it was not allowed for a year. So we were excited to have some English group. It was a party and there were some good speakers there.
On Wednesday we thought that our landlady was coming over but who really came over was two men who were going to do some improvements to the apartment. That was a surprise. They came in and started doing some work and in the process making a mess. We weren't ready for it and a bit shocked because they were going everywhere making a mess. Then eventually they left and we made our way to a lesson with a member. We bought some juice because she usually gives us some black tea, and we don't drink that, but she didn't like the juice trick and we drank all of the juice and then poured the tea into the bottle and then acted like we drank the tea. We are getting pretty sneaky with our food tricks. After the lesson we had to clean the apartment because it was a mess. We cleaned pretty much till the end of the day. It was pretty dirty, and to be honest I'm not sure what the people did to make the apartment better.
Thursday day morning we had some service, which was a first in a long time. It felt good to go out and serve a church member and help her feel better. We had to dig some holes and then transplant some bushes into the new holes. It wasn't the hardest work, but it was really fun. After the service we made our way back home and then prepared for some lessons that night. We had three lessons total this whole day, which is quite a bit for all the travel we did too. We met with this girl who is supposedly a Jehovah's Witness. She was pretty open to what we had to say and is very nice. We are hoping that we'll be able to give her a Book of Mormon and then in the end get baptized. She has a bit of a tough situation, she pretty much plays mom at her house because after school she has to go home and make dinner for the family and clean and what not. Our other lessons were good. We watched the Restoration movie with them because they were investigators. It was warm in the rooms and so it made staying awake a bit hard. I only was asleep for about 30 seconds total....both lessons. We are meeting a part member family and we are trying to incorporate the husband (who isn't a member) but he has to tame the German Shepard puppy during the whole lesson. It's a challenge but yet he still listens. 
Friday we had Zone Leaders Council. That was a great time. We talked about eternal investigators and what to do with them. We talked about evaluating lessons and then going from there and if dropping them is needed, then how to drop them nicely. My comp and I went first and that was a challenge because we were thrown on the spot and told to do something that we haven't planned for. Anyways, it all worked out and others said that we did a good job. Also quickly, at ZLC there were some former companion. Elder K and Elder L are now ZLs and so it was great to see them. I've been at these ZLCs now for a while and I'm hoping that I'll be able to stay up and continue being at them because I get to have some close interaction with President C and these meetings are very spiritual. If something happens, then I'll accept and move forward. Later this evening we went signboarding with some other Elders. We got new signboards and so we took them for a test drive. They are a bit weird but they do some work for us. They have some pictures of healthy and unhealthy lungs and another that says that we have the power to help you quit smoking. It's interesting...we might make some changes so it will help us out more. For the 45 minutes that we were out on the street with the signboard we saw some miracles. There was one guy that morning that wanted to talk to the other Elders but he was in a rush to work, since we were out at night he had some time to talk to us and he got a Book of Mormon. It was awesome! 
Saturday was also a crazy day because Elder N and I had to do registration. Now with these new visas and new laws from Ukraine it makes staying here a lot harder but we are making it work. Elder N and I went with some lady that works in the mission office and our landlady and went to some government building and then waited...then signed some papers...and then waited some more..and that was it. Hopefully all works out and we are still allowed to be here. I heard that some of the new missionaries that just came in have tourist visas meaning that they can't proselyte on the street. Hopefully everything gets figured out for them. Since Elder N and I had to do this we were on a split and my comp went with Elder N's comp to a baptism and then to do some service. All of that lasted a bit longer than normal and so Elder N and I were together for most of the day. We went to district meeting and when we got to the church the water cooler was out of water, so we went and bought everybody some water. It was nice to have some water. District meeting was great. We talked about confidence, pride, and bravatto. A very insightful meeting that helped me out. Its so cool to see some young men come together and have an insightful meeting, the Church true. 
Church was church...it's great here because it feels like a home ward and not some small little gathering of church members. The families here are great and they know the gospel. We as missionaries don't really have to raise our voice and help our the branch do the right thing. We bring our investigators and introduce them to some church members and then they do the rest. It's great. This night we went out and had some lessons. I was really tired and the apartments were warm. If you remember from earlier that is only a request for sleep. So I will admit during the first lesson my eyes were a bit heavy and it was a bit of a struggle to keep them open. I prayed for some help and then the member called on me when I was almost about to fall asleep. Then I talked for a while and I was awake. Prayers are answered. We then went to some other members, one of them wasn't home but another was but she said that it was late. We ended up staying at her place for about 40 minutes. There are about 400 people or so on the branch list but only about 90 come to church. There is a lot of less active work that needs to be done. Teaching the Gospel is fun, I admit. Feeling the love that comes from Heavenly Father and then conveying that love to others is great. I will share that love with others always. 
I love you all very much! Thank you for everything! 
Elder Frank Young 

No comments:

Post a Comment