Thursday, July 12, 2012

July 9th Letter

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. I can't believe that it's almost July 11 again. The time is flying! 

Today I dropped off Elder N at the Mission Home. That was a bit weird. I got to see some other Elders who are going home as well and it is crazy that they are all done. Seriously the time is flying. I know that I have a month left, and I'm not counting, there are enough Elders here that are counting down for me. I don't know why but they are. Dropping off Elder N was a bit crazy because we came into the MTC together and now he's done. In a matter of a few hours he'll be picking up his parents from the airport and then be touring the mission with his parents. Again...I'm thankful that you are not coming here to pick me up. It was a bit surreal this morning seeing Elder N gather up all of his items and then go to the Home and send him on his way. Just crazy. 

This past week has been busy and great. Where to start??? Well it was Elder Ns last week and so he was making arrangements to say goodbye to all of the members that he has become great friends with over the year. So we had a lot of member lessons...which isn't bad at all and yes we were able to have some investigator lessons so all is well. Don't worry about us doing work. Some of the families here are stalwart. One family was just simply amazing. When you walked in, you literally felt at home and it wasn't some awkward feeling of being some where else. I felt completely comfortable and I could feel the Spirit and the love that is in the family. It was so nice being there. It was difficult to leave because Elder N was seeing them for the last time and because being there with them felt so good. The family has been members for a really long time and they know how to really have happiness in life and that is by living the Gospel. That house has a special feeling.  When I have my own house I want it to feel like that. To where others can come in and feel right at home and feel comfortable and not awkward, pretty much have a slice of our house in my future house. Thanks for having a great house Mom and Dad. 

One morning we woke up to pouring rain. There have been some mornings when you just pray for rain the night before so you don't have to go outside because you're just so tired. However when I woke up this time and saw the rain coming out I was a bit excited because that meant that possibly we were gonna stay inside and not have to walk around the streets for an hour and half trying to talk with people. But that wasn't going to be the case. We got dressed and then grabbed our coats, grabbed some crackers, and then went outside with our contacting material. We stood underneath our little cover and ate a cracker and then took the first step out into the rain. I was a bit not too pleased with going on and walking in the rain because I knew that no one was going to talk to us. We continued our march into the rain and around our area. We walked and walked and then it turned from misery to enjoyment. I started laughing inside about the fact that we were walking around in the rain trying to avoid the splashes from all of the cars. The enjoyment was quite nice and then when the rain kind of let up I was a bit sad that it was done. Whilst walking around a member called us and told us to come to his office so we wouldn't be in the rain. We declined his request and continued our path. I can't really recall us talking to anyone but we were out there in the rain doing what was asked of us. 

The family that we are teaching is making progress. We were able to meet with them twice this week and it's just so nice to be with them. In their apartment they have the similar feel that the one family has, the one family I typed about up above. When the family gets baptized that feeling in the apartment will be so much stronger and better. The first time we met with them we finished teaching the second half of the Plan of Salvation, from death to the end. They had some good questions and we offered our answers. During the lesson I got this thought in my head. I was remined about this one talk that I listened to, it was President Packer. I think the talk is called I'll Remember your sins no More. It talks about the time when Alma talks to his son Shiblon about his problems and then goes on and talks about the spirit world and everything else. These questions that they were having dealed exactly with what these chapters talked about out. I had the feeling and the thought that before we left I had to make sure to explain to them that they needed to read these three chapters (Alma 40-42) so they could get some answers. Then before we were to end the lesson I spoke up and commited them to read those chapters. It felt good accomplishing something that I know that the Holy Ghost prompted me to do. Upon our next arrival we asked them if they read those chapters and they said that they did! They then said that those chapters really helped them out and gave them answers to what they were looking for and it was easy and simple to understand. Oh what a great relief that was. I was so glad that I listened to the Spirit and that those chapters helped them out. Our next lesson was about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and we only taught the first three of five topics. Yet again towards the end of the lesson I got another feeling that I should extend another scpriture commitment of reading 3 Nehpi 11 where it talks about baptism. We were gonna extend them to be baptized but it didn't feel right. They are ready for baptism and would be great members. The husband works on Sundays and doesn't really have a chance to change his schedule and so hopefully we'll take a page from Andrew Willmore's mission and have him pray to have his boss change his schedule so he can come to church with his wife. The family is just awesome and it's my goal to see them get baptized before I leave. I know that it is possible and that it's going to take a lot of work. I'm going to buckle down and do the right thing. I know that all will work out. 

Transfer meeting is this Thursday and it'll be crazy to see comes to me. I hope that they are ready to work a bit more smart than hard. Elder N and I worked hard which is good. He helped me set the ending pace for the rest of the mission for me. I'm excited to work and to finish strong. Till then family I'll be working hard and you'll be having a great time. Thanks for everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment